The Speech Recognition Add-on changes spoken words into text. Open your Chrome browser and follow these steps:
- Create a new Google Doc or open and existing document
- Click on Add-ons (top menu of Google Docs)
- Type Speech Recognition in the search bar
- Click on the Blue + button to add it to Google Docs (Mine is green since I have added it already)
- Click again on add-ons (Google Docs menu)
- Click on speech recognition
- Choose your language (Afrikaans is there!)
- If you select English, you can select the dialect as well
- You can choose for example South Africa as the dialect
- You can use a range of commands
- Click on Save to save your settings
- Click again on Add-ons
- Click of Speech Recognition
- The box will open (far right)
- Click on Start (Blue button)
- Click on Allow to use microphone
- And start talking
- Google will listen to you and type the text where you need it.
- The microphone stays green to show that it is ready
- If the microphone is crossed out, click on Start
Example of her excellence:
- I do not use the punctuation, I add it when I proofread my text
- Insert lines to show new paragraphs.
- Google learns quickly, thus the more you use it, the better she will understand you.
- For now, I am impressed.
Google understands my dialect of English, and her spelling is excellent – she can even spell “reëls” correctly!