Google Home is a voice activated speaker powered by Google Assistant. It is designed to fit your decor, therefore the base colours vary. Underneath the swappable shell a speaker waits to play back songs and allow Google Assistant to talk to you.
On top of the device is a capacitive touch display with four LEDs that are used to:
- interact with Home
- trigger the assistant
- adjust the volume, etc
There are no buttons on the top, just mics that listen for your voice, but a single mute button can be found on the shell. Google Home can filter and separate noise from speech to offer an Assistant that can follow instructions.
You can ask it questions, tell it to do things and have your Google always ready to help. Just start with: “Ok Google” to power your Google Assistant up.
Google Home is a WiFi speaker that can stream music directly from the cloud. It also works as a smartphone control centre and an assistant for the whole family. You can access songs, playlists, albums, and podcasts from your music services by using your voice. You can also use Google Cast to send music from your Android and iOs devices.
Google Cast allows you to adjust the other speakers in your home. You can even get multi-room playback if you add one or more Google Home devices to a group of speakers to hear music where you are in the house. Google Cast will also allow you to watch choose videos from Youtube. Tell the assistant and the content will appear on the television.
Google Home can be used to:
- playback entertainment throughout the entire house
- manage every-day tasks
- and to ask Google to do something
- set alarms and timers
- manage to-do-lists
- control lights, switches and doors and Googles own Nest products
Google is working with others to allow you to:
- book a flight or car
- order dinner
- send flowers
You can ask Google assistant anything:
- facts on Wikipedia
- any question that can be answered by Google
- ask follow-up questions.
- You can ask Google who George Clooney is. And then you can ask where he went to school. Google will understand that you mean George Clooney!
- You can even ask complex questions such as What was the USA population when NASA was established.
- Google can also read the relevant part of the webpage back to you.
- You can ask Google Home to play that Shakira song from Zootopia and he will be able to find the correct song from your favourite app without you having to name the song
Google Home supports the following:
- YouTube Music
- Philips Hue
- IFTTT (to activate recipes over speaker)
- iHeart Radio
- Google Play Music
Google Assistant and its machine learning capabilities allows Google Home to know you and your preferences. It can also act as a Chromecast Audio Receiver. Google Assistant is a Siri-like bot that is an adaption of Google Now and OK Google. It is called Google Assistant and improves two-way conversation experiences of those two services.
I cannot wait for the 4th of November when this little accessory with the big heart will be released!