Siri, the 5-year old intelligent assistant of Apple mobile devices is now also available on Mac desktops since she is part of the new macOS 10.12 Sierra operating system introduced on the 20th of September 2016 and offer features designed exclusively for desktops.
Siri, the intelligent assistant, includes all favourite features and new ones designed for Mac desktops:
- send messages
- create reminders
- search the web and more while you work
- drag and drop or copy and paste Siri results
- pin Siri results in notification centre and reference later
- find files
- adjust settings
- get system information by asking Siri.
Copy and paste between devices near each other with universal clipboard. Copy a quote, image and video from an app on one device and paste it into an app on another device.
Drag and drop search results into emails, messages and notes
Pin results where you can find it, right in the notification centre, where it stays up to date. Just click + to pin results to today’s view, where it stays up to date.
Apple watch: log automatically into my Mac by wearing my Watch.
Use iCloud Drive to get access to files on Mac desktop from iPhone. Store and update files on desktop and in Documents automatically in iCloud Drive and access on any of your iOS devices and even another Mac.
Apple pay in Safari makes it faster, easier and more secure to pay on the web since you can check out without providing your credit card details. Complete the transaction by Touch Id or double-clicking the side button on the Apple Watch.
Optimized storage since Sierra automatically stores files rarely used in iCloud. Store files in the cloud until you need them. This feature includes the following:
- remind you to delete used app installers
- clears out duplicate downloads, caches, logs, and unnecessary stuff
- ind and delete large apps and files and ones not used
- delete files that have been in the trash for 30 days
Rediscover memories, and turn them into memories, including:
- new technologies for powerful face recognition
- display all photos on interactive world map, zoom in and out to see where the shot was taken
- search photos by objects and scenery in them
- memories automatically creates slide shows and sharable collections of best photos, based on people, places, holidays, and more
- find photos of beach, sunset, birthday cake, etc.
- sort photos based on face recognition
Improved messages to express yourself in new ways, including:
- huge emojis
- respond with heart of thumbs-up
- play videos in conversation
- preview links in the conversation
iTunes makes is easier to find favorite songs and discovering new ones. For you makes it easier to:
- discover new music and playlists Apple think we would love
- new browse function – new releases, exclusives, playlists, top charts
- view lyrics while listening to refined mini player
Tabs works same as in safari, but now in most of the apps. It allows for example to:
- breeze between multiple page documents in full screen mode
- look at various destinations in maps
Picture in Picture allows you to float a video window from Safari and iTunes over desktop or full screen app, his allows you to:
- play a video in the corner of the desktop, resize it and see what is behind while you catch up on email
- or to watch a game while you are busy with something else
Questions to ask Siri:
- Show all PDFs in my downloads folder
- How much free space do I have on my mac?
- Play the top 40 jazz songs
- What’s the weather like in Barberton?
- Add Laura to my 10AM meeting
- How do I spell broccoli?
- Find photos I took at home
- What is the time in Cape Town?
- Show me all files I have shared with Karen last week
- Find tweets from Paul
- FaceTime Jane
- Get information about Cape Town
- Search the web for images of Cape Town
I am an Apple fan, therefore I do love the new MacOS Sierra. Now I have a reason to learn to use Siri more effectively! For more ideas, watch Help!